Can't use shortcut keys?
  • CryojenX March 2011

I just got my 2030, and so far I'm liking it (will definitely take time to adjust ). My problem is that in OS X Snow Leopard, the keyboard detection doesn't work. I choose 102 key standard, and the web and email keys do not work. I try to add them in the system keyboard preferences, but the system doesn't even detect that I am pressing a key. Any ideas?

• @CryojenX: Unfortunately Apple decided not to implement the USB standard scan codes, instead using their proprietary extended scan codes. Because of this, extended USB functions (like "open browser" or "open calculator") on any USB keyboard that is not specifically made for macs, won't work. You may have some success with using the Mac specific keyboard remappers other users have discussed on the forums, but there is no easy fix since technically the keyboard is doing exactly what it is supposed to - sending a USB standard code, but OS X decides not to act on it.

-TypeMatrix

• CryojenX April 2011

Oh, well thats rather dissapointing, especially since the site billed the keyboards as being os x compatible. It seems a bit disingenuous. I still like the keyboard, but it would have been nice to know this in advance. :/

• @CryojenX:

We certainly didn't mean to be misleading. Our website stated that the keyboard is "PC, Mac, and Sun compatible", which it is, but we will add a note to point out that some of the special function keys are OS dependent and are not fully implemented by OS X and others. You'll notice that most Mac keyboards simply don't have additional multimedia functions at all, presumably because of the non-standard way these are handled by OS X.

We've added the note to the relevant technical spec page at:
    http://typematrix.com/2030/tech-specs.php

Thanks for pointing this out to us.

-TypeMatrix

• @CryojenX:

One quick follow-up, did you see the thread on this forum regarding remapping specifically for Mac Users? At least some of the keys like cut, copy and paste can be made to work properly, and others too. Take a look:

http://forum.typematrix.com/discussion/21/a-handy-tip-for-mac-users-keyremap4macbook

-TypeMatrix

• CryojenX April 2011

Thanks, thats pretty helpful. :)

This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion