TypeMatrix 2040...
  • I've been looking for a new keyboard (for gaming) and the TypeMatrix almost fit my criteria with it's straight columns and easy to reach F keys, However, there's still quite a few things missing like a Numberpad and 6 key being forced onto right hand (this is potentially huge). What I'm wondering is when was the 2030 released? And is it too early to anticipate the successor? I really wouldn't want to buy the 2030 as is right now (yeah, i'm picky) but want to know if the 2040 is WAY off or not.

I still can't believe the left hand is is made so unelegant in the standard keyboard. The hand naturally curves in a northeast direction yet keyboards want it to go northwest. That one thing is so noticable to me that it actually interferes with gaming (mostly with the number keys) - I just end up concentrating too much on physically doing rather than playing, hence why I'm looking into alternate keyboards.

• kesmikcuz July 2012

I used to have issues with keyboard gaming, too until I bought my TypeMatrix 2030. I haven't been on the forums in a few months, but iirc, the next keyboard was going to basically be a programmable variant of the current 2030, but development was halted due to some change upstream. As far as the 6 key goes, can you perhaps bind delete or backspace to what 6 was to be bound to? I highly doubt that TypeMatrix will ever feature a 6 key on the left hand since actual typing ergonomics are better with it on the right (even if it requires you to rebind certain specific commands for games, I hardly see this as a drawback in its overall design). As far as your number-pad problem goes, my dad owns a cheap USB external number keypad with a matrix-grid layout that I assume would be perfect for your gaming needs. The only "drawback" here is that you'll be using a second USB port when you play your number-pad-philic games. My personal, not unbiased suggestion to you is to buy the TypeMatrix 2030, an external number pad, and then rebind your old 6 key command to backspace.
    -k

• TypeMatrix_admin September 2012

@kesmikcuz

Thanks for your helpful reply!

@Alternatives

There are no concrete hardware designs in the pipe that are close enough to wait for. The only hardware project that is being thought about currently is a highly portable Bluetooth version of the keyboard - but even if that comes to fruition it would likely be years.

It's unlikely that we'll make any major changes to the position of the 6 in the number row (I know you said number pad, but I'm nearly certain you meant number row). The TypeMatrix does have a built-in number pad using either the function key or the numlock key - although the keys are super-imposed on letters so that may not work perfectly for you. Take a look:
    http://typematrix.com/support/user-guide.php?item=21

If anything develops on the hardware front we'll certainly announce it.
    Thanks,
    -TypeMatrix

This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion